Saturday, November 23, 2013

Wherein Chris Comments...

So, Chris here.  My wonderful wife, Bekah, has been badgering lovingly encouraging me all evening to contribute to our blog. And because I value my sanity wife's feelings, here I sit trying to think of something clever. In absence of that, I'm going to go with this...


Grown Ass Man

Yup, that happened.  My in-laws came to town, bringing a French couple along. We decided to show them Atlanta's showier side and took them to the Westin Hotel, which has a fancy rotating restaurant at the top. First, I love rotating restaurants.  They're usually pretty high up and have a great view.  It's pretty much the lazy person's version of sight seeing.   


At any rate, we pull up to the Westin's valet, and we immediately notice the inordinate amount of folks milling around. And those folks were dressed... well, ... let's just skip to the conversation:  



Bekah: “Does that woman have a tail?”
Me: “Oh no….”
Bekah: “No, seriously, what’s with that guy’s ears? Are those fox ears? I think they're fox ears.”
Me: “Shit. Don’t make eye contact”
Bekah: “Why? What's going on? Is something wrong?”

We make it into the Westin and ride the elevator up to the fancy brunch place, but instead of focusing on the sights, my in-laws and the French couple were staring at the gigantic Dalmatian roaming the restaurant. 

And in that moment, over waffles and friend chicken, I got to explain the furry subculture and the resulting FurryCons* to my in-laws, who then translated the more salient parts into French. I don't know which was better: Watching their reactions, or seeing the great view from up top.


*I'm not going to go into what the furry culture is. For those sorts of questions, we have such tools as Google and Wikipedia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment